Face mapping is a 3,000-year-old ancient practice traditionally used in ancient Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine, based on the belief that skin blemishes are an external manifestation of an internal imbalance.
It’s said that when there is an imbalance in the body, the skin will show this by way of blemishes, redness or dryness. The location of these blemishes on the face supposedly represent the organ that’s affected.
Below is a region-by-region analysis;
⌒could indicate stress • digestive issues • irregular sleep
Pimples here are usually linked to the digestive system and small intestine, and may indicate that you’re having a hard time breaking down certain foods. It may also point to heightened stress levels, or an irregular sleep schedule.
When your digestive system is not functioning at its best, toxins that should normally be eliminated from the body can build up in your system and show up on your skin - in this case, on your forehead.
- Try using digestive enzymes like bromelain and papaya before each meal to help break down foods, and make sure you’re getting 7-9 hours of sleep each night.
- Make sure that you are having regular bowel movements, and integrate more fibre, vegetables and healthy fats into your diet.
- Also wise to eat more cooked foods, as all food that enters our mouth has to be broken down into more simple parts in order for our body to use it. Eating foods that are at body temperature or higher, allows you to save Spleen, Intestine and Stomach Qi.
- Congestion on the forehead and along the hairline can signal improper makeup or shampoo removal, so try to switch to natural, non-toxic skincare and haircare.
- Beauty Ritual: Do a gentle exfoliation forehead treatment by combining 1 pinch ofGreen Clay Mask with a couple of drops ofRestore Face Serum. Using your fingertips, gently massage the mixture into the skin, focusing on the forehead area. Rinse well with lukewarm water, and follow with a few spritzes ofOrganic Rose Water Toner to help boost hydration and deeply nourish your skin cells.
- Apply the Small Intestine Meridian Blend one finger breadth down from the base of the pinkie finger on the outer edge of the hand, and massage with fingertip.Affirm: “I sort through and let go of what no longer serves me with a decisive mind.”
Middle Of Brows ✴︎LIVER
⌒could indicate toxins • sleep deprivation • heightened emotions
Skin blemishes between the eyes are often linked to toxins and the liver.Liver issues can be indicative of sleep deprivation, heightened emotions (stress, sadness, anger, worry), or an excess of sugar, fats or alcohol in your diet. Your lymphatic circulation may also be stagnant, and could use a little boost.
- If you suspect liver/toxin issues, try some dandelion tea or hot water with lemon in the morning.
- Decrease your intake of spicy, pungent foods, meats, alcohol, and coffee. Increase your intake of good essential fatty acids, omega 3 and 6, flax seed, avocado, and olive oil to help.
- Aim to dry body brush several times a week to boost lymphatic flow.
- Milk Thistle supplements are one of the most popular herbs for treating and repairing the liver thanks to skin-loving flavonoids and minerals.
- Beauty Ritual: Apply Pink Clay Mask to the face to deeply cleanse and draw out impurities from the skin, allowing the combination of gentle raw minerals and botanical powders to purify, soothe and nourish blemish-prone areas.
- Apply the Liver Meridian Blendto the liver acupressure point, located 2.5cm down from the big and second toe on top of the foot where you should feel a little hollow area, and gently massage with your fingertip.Affirm:I confidently assert myself lovingly and clearly”.
Under The Eyes ✴︎KIDNEYS
⌒could indicate sleep deprivation • poor diet • mineral deficiency
Lack of sleep, a poor diet and dehydration impacts our kidney function, and can show up by way of puffy, dull skin around the eyes. Another factor may be a mineral deficiency, specifically iron, which can contribute to the appearance of dark circles.
Puffiness under the eyes can also indicate fluid retention (excess alcohol or too much salt in the diet), and food allergies.
- Consume adequate fluids, which can take the form of foods such as beneficial fruits and vegetables as well as water and other liquids, so that the kidneys can kickstart a self-cleansing process.
- Be mindful of your diet, and try to stay away from too much sodium.
- Bland and nourishing foods like bone broth are great to hydrate and heal.
- Make sure you are getting enough sleep - this helps every part of your physical and mental health.
- An iron supplement or increased consumption of leafy greens can help if mineral deficiency is the catalyst.
- Beauty Ritual: Gently massage one to two drops of ourRestore Face Seruminto clean, damp skin immediately after cleansing or masking, morning and night, focusing on the delicate under eye area.AFFIRMATION: “I Am Radiant”.
Apply the Kidney Meridian Blend to “kidney 1” acupressure point on the soles of the feet just below the pads of the feet, “kidney 3” halfway between the achilles tendon and the ankle bone on the inside of the ankle and “kidney 6” one finger breadth beneath the inside of the ankle bone.Affirm: “I am fearless, courageous and confident within my being. I know that I am safe and all is well”.
⌒could indicate emotional and blood pressure issues
If the nose appears red, this could signify elevated blood pressure, internal inflammation or poor circulation. Air pollution may also be affecting your body’s cardiovascular functioning. Blemishes on the nose can often point to sadness or heartache, so big hug time!
- You may want to look at getting your blood pressure and cholesterol checked.
- Integrate some gentle cardiovascular exercise into your daily routine, such as jogging or fast walking to get your heart pumping.
- It could be time to indulge in your favourite rituals of self-love and care. Round up your loved ones, make yourself a good cup of tea and watch a movie that will make you laugh.
- Ritual:When we go through heartbreak, loss, trauma or relationship difficulties it can stir up a range of emotions including anger, resentment, regret, bitterness and jealousy. Left unprocessed, these emotions can cause heart energy to close or ‘harden’, leaving one less receptive to new experiences and relationships. UseThe Heart Kit to allow your heart to open, let go, soften, and trust. Recognise and be the divine being you are.
- Apply theHeart Meridian Blendon the inside of the wrist, on the crease in line with the pinkie finger and at the bottom of the pinkie nail on the outside of the hand. It can also be worked into the middle of the inside of the forearm, 2.5 finger breadths away from the wrist and in the middle of the wrist on the crease by massaging into the areas with your fingertips.Affirm:“I am love, I love myself. My heart is filled with peace and joy.”
Cheeks ✴︎ LUNGS
⌒could indicate respiratory & sinus issues • low absorption of nutrients • stress
Linked to the lungs/respiratory system and stomach, those who smoke or have sinus issues may notice broken capillaries, hyperpigmentation, or general congestion around the cheeks.
Breakouts on the cheeks can also be indicative of an inability to absorb nutrients into the bloodstream as well as a sensitivity to certain skincare ingredients.
Red cheeks may be a sign of internal inflammation, linked to histamine allergies, food intolerances and high stress levels.
- The most common food triggers are dairy, soy, gluten, processed sugar and alcohol – try to eliminate these groups for a month to see how your body reacts with the change.
- It should come as no surprise that eucalyptus is a powerful herb ally for respiratory conditions. Add a couple of drops of Resilience Blend to a diffuser or perform a steam facial to reap the healing benefits of this nourishing plant.
- Yoga, meditation, and breathwork are great ways to balance the nervous system and boost healthy blood flow to the skin.
- Beauty Ritual: Soothe the cheeks by adding a spritz of ourOrganic Rose Water Toner to freshly cleansed skin before you moisturise or throughout the day to hydrate and refresh.
- Gently massage the Lung Meridian Blend2.5cm down from the crease of the wrist, in line with the thumb, on the forearm with your fingertip.Affirm: “I breathe in divine life force, filling my lungs with soothing, healing energy, I breathe out releasing any pain and sadness that I have been holding on to.”
Chin, Jawline & Sides of Face ✴︎HORMONES, STOMACH & LARGE INTESTINE
⌒could indicate •hormonal imbalance • excess stress • yeast overgrowth
It is very common for women who suffer from endometriosis, uterine fibroids and PCOS to find that they have recurring breakouts on their chin, jawline and sides of their face. Oftentimes, these breakouts will be deep, cystic, red and painful to the touch. This is also a common area to experience breakouts any time that your hormones go a little haywire, especially during menstruation, puberty and pregnancy.
Blemishes in these areas can also be linked to digestive, stomach and large intestine issues, especially when it comes to Candida and yeast overgrowth, and a diet high in refined sugar, processed meats and dairy.
- If breakouts around the chin and sides of face are quite common, you might want to get a blood test so that your doctor can get a better understanding of your hormonal levels. This will also help to determine how well your thyroid is functioning.
- If you find that your hormones are imbalanced, there are plenty of things you can do to help. Eliminating caffeine (sorry!), eating omega-3 rich foods, managing stress, taking vitamin D3 supplements, maintaining a healthy weight, getting regular exercise and adequate sleep can work wonders for bringing your hormones back to their natural balance.
- Cutting out heavy, creamy, starchy, damp, and fermented sweet foods like processed sugar, dried fruit, yeast, wine, dairy, white flour, gluten, soy, shellfish, fried foods, grapes, bananas, and peanut butter may also assist in hormone regulation and lowering skin inflammation.
- Reducing the amount of fat in your diet from cheese, milk, and hydrogenated oils in conjunction with taking digestive enzymes will reduce the likelihood of breakouts.
- Facial acupuncture and natural remedies may also help improve the severity of the outbreaks.
- If you do have a yeast overgrowth, an anti-Candida diet is essential to heal the gut and clear up these breakouts. Check in with a naturopath or doctor for mroe advice.
Beauty Ritual: Spot treat breakouts withGreen Clay Mask by mixing one teaspoon of the powder with one teaspoon of water to make a paste and apply over the affected areas. Allow the mask to penetrate and dry before removing to enjoy the full benefits of soothed and invigorated skin. Finish with Restore Face Serum to deeply nourish, repair and heal any inflammation.
- Apply the Large Intestine Meridian Blend and Stomach Meridian Blend. Locate the large intestine acupressure point between the thumb and the index finger in the webbing of the hand and massage theLarge Intestine Meridian Blend in with your fingertip.Affirm: “I now release anything that no longer serves me on my path to well being. I am safe, I am love, I forgive and I let go.” Use theStomach Meridian Blend 5cm beneath the outer part of the knee bone, on the outside of the shin and massage with your fingertip.Affirm: “I am focused, calm and feel at peace within myself.”
Our skin is constantly communicating with us about the ways our diet, health and habits impact our bodies as a whole. Face mapping is an incredibly useful tool for interpreting the “messages” behind our common complexion concerns, providing valuable insights that can help us bring greater balance to our skin and our lives.